Friday, December 2, 2011

MC Show

I've got a big MC gig tomorrow. Over the last couple of years I've been getting a lot of opportunities to MC at music festivals, but this one is very different.

First of all, it's bitter-sweet, this particular hootenanny is because a good friend died. I think, should I be more solemn, or my own bigger-than-life self? But, Allen was a fan, and he liked my over-the-top self, so I think the theme (for me anyway) is to thine own self be true, he would've wanted it that way.

Secondly it's a rush - fifteen performers in four hours - whew!

The weird thing about MCing is that you have to tell someone else's story - many people's stories.  And it's tough, it takes a lot of research and a lot of practice.

In the end, it's a lot of fun, I don't call myself an MC, I call myself a host. I think it's my job, to not only intro the performers, but to keep the audience hot during the break, and that's where the fun is. Kind of like Johnny Carson.

No comments:

Post a Comment